Cannabis Business Resources
A collection of business resources brought to you by the editors of Marijuana Business Daily and Hemp Industry Daily, including Factbooks, free reports and free webinars.
Free Webinar | Global Opportunities in Hemp and How to Execute on Them
Hemp opportunities don’t stop at the U.S. borders, nor are they relegated to North America. Opportunities abound around the globe – with more coming into play all the time.
In this webinar, our panelists – Bob Hoban, founder and president of Hoban Law Group, and Sarah Yetman, CEO of Sovereignport, examine:
- How to identify the best opportunities for your hemp business.
- Legal and regulatory considerations in different markets.
- The outlook for the global hemp market.
Free Webinar | Formulating Your International Investing Thesis
The green wave isn’t isolated in the United States, but investment opportunities around the globe vary greatly.
In this free Investor Intelligence webinar, Deepak Anand, Co-founder and CEO of Materia Ventures, will discuss:
- The evolution of the cannabis industry in Canada (Cannabis 2.0).
- Navigating the regulatory complexity of the European market.
- Growth of cannabis in Germany – how it is similar to yet unlike any other medical cannabis market in the world.
Managing Risk in Uncertain Times: Strategies for Hemp Businesses
If 2020 has taught us anything, it is that no amount of planning can remove risk from our lives and business plans. The best-crafted business strategy can crumble because of unexpected events, and the deepest wells of capital might run dry in the face of a global market slowdown. However, can an entrepreneur take steps to help ensure those risks are less costly to a hemp business in the long run? Absolutely.
Hand-selected by the editors of Hemp Industry Daily, this valuable resource provides a basic handbook of strategies and products to protect your hemp investment from unforeseen risks, whether you are growing hemp, processing it into finished goods or bringing those products to the public.
This special report on Managing Risk in Uncertain Times offers actionable, unbiased intelligence on risk-mitigation products and strategies, how much they cost, and additional guidance on:
- Crop insurance.
- Business property insurance.
- Business interruption insurance.
- Workers’ compensation insurance.
- Legal strategies to make contracts less risky.
Free Webinar | Opportunities & Challenges in Hemp Investing
Hemp is often looked to as the gateway for cannabis investing, thanks to its federally legal status. But current conditions in the United States – including the COVID-19 pandemic – have created significant challenges, as well.
In this free Investor Intelligence webinar, Brent Williams, founder of Highwater Financial, discusses:
- How to assess the current hemp opportunities and figure out what makes sense for your portfolio.
- How the pandemic and recession have impacted the outlook for the industry.
- What investors should be looking out for with hemp and CBD.
Free Webinar | Not What But How: Agronomy vs Horticulture for Hemp Producers
Hemp farmers today come from many different backgrounds and with hemp being a complex plant that can be grown and harvested for a vast number of consumer products, there are different cultivation practices that can be taken. The question for farmers to consider is – agronomy vs. horticulture? Which practice suits your operations and ultimately your harvesting goals?
In this free webinar, Andrew Bish of Bish Enterprises and Hemp Harvest Works discusses the following:
- Agronomy vs. Horticulture: What is the difference? How does each practice relate to hemp?
- What are the advantages/disadvantages of using one method vs. the other
- From a bottom line and sustainability perspective, which approach is most beneficial to your operations and harvest goals.
Free Webinar | Planning for an Uncertain Future: Case Studies and Lessons in Pivoting and Budgeting
As an owner or leader in your business, we understand the industry is in upheaval and all your careful business plans are up in smoke. COVID-19 is only the most recent example. Cannabis businesses are at risk to everything from shifts in the weather to the growing illicit market to regulatory whims.
In this webinar, Ellen Rosenfeld and Jeff Yapp explore case studies of cannabis businesses from along the supply chain that have pivoted with success. Learn from first-hand experience how to navigate your business through major changes, including strategy and budgeting.
Free Webinar | Product Demand: Shifts in What Consumers Want
The cannabis industry is no stranger to dealing with situations impacting consumer demands. Autumn 2019 brought on the vaping crisis and today the industry is facing the COVID-19 global pandemic. Along with hefty business operational impacts, events like this have a big impact on a single important factor that keeps the cannabis industry thriving, consumer demand.
In this free webinar, industry veteran Nancy Whiteman, CEO of Wana Brands, and data pro Liz Connors, Director of Analytics at Headset, take a look at these shifting trends and how to use this information to make business plans and adjust accordingly.
Free Webinar | Managing Risk in Uncertain Times: Strategies for Hemp Businesses
As a hemp operator, you cannot eliminate risk from your business plans, but there are steps you can take to help mitigate the loss one may face when unexpected events occur. This free webinar is a comprehensive discussion on risk-mitigation strategies for your business.
Legal and Insurance Experts discuss:
- legal strategies to make contracts less risky
- crop insurance
- business property insurance
- worker’s compensation insurance
Free Webinar | How Cannabis Affects the Mainstream Portfolio
Even if you’re not currently investing in cannabis, it’s likely that the industry is already affecting other companies in your portfolio.
This Investor Intelligence webinar features Vivien Azer, Managing Director at Cowen, who provides insight on:
- Why some mainstream companies are already looking to cannabis for growth.
- Adjacent industries serving the cannabis industry – and how this may affect your portfolio.
- Key subsectors of the marijuana industry and how to identify the best opportunities.
Free Webinar | The Start of a New Industry: Updates and Opportunities in South America’s Prominent Markets
Each South American country is in different stages of cannabis legalization and regulation, leaving ample room for market development and investment opportunities.
MJBizDaily’s International Analyst, Alfredo Pascual and a panel of experts take a deeper look at some of the region’s most prominent markets: Colombia, Brazil and Uruguay.
Julián Wilches, Chief Regulatory Officer & Co-Founder, Clever Leaves, Martín Rodríguez, Executive Director, Institute of Cannabis Regulation and Control, and Viviane Sedola, Founder & CEO, Dr. Cannabis discuss:
- How COVID-19 is affecting the South American cannabis industry.
- The current situation in Uruguay since legalization.
- Why cannabis producers and investors should be paying attention to Brazil.
- The recent milestones achieved in Colombia.
This webinar is for producers, investors, individuals and businesses looking for opportunities to export, expand or partner with companies in South American cannabis markets.
Free Webinar | Starting a CBD Business During a Time of Uncertainty
The economy has seen its fair share of up’s and down’s, but the CBD industry, still in infancy, has been a wild ride. The CBD industry has been the mecca for business entrepreneurs and start-ups, but what happens when economic or environmental circumstances out of your control strike?
In this free webinar, Hemp Industry Daily Reporter Ivan Moreno will talk with CBD business owners who have been working through this time of uncertainty caused by the global COVID-19 pandemic
These experienced entrepreneurs and founders will discuss and share tips about:
- Funding and Cash Flow: How to reassure your current investors and work with new potential investors
- Supply Chain Management
- Distribution and Retail Challenges and How to Overcome Them
- Branding and Marketing – Is Your Plan Still Viable?
- Business 101: Crisis Management Plans and How To Prepare for the Future?
Free Report | Medical Cannabis in Europe: The Markets and Opportunities (2nd Edition)
What are the most recent challenges and opportunities to investing, partnering, exporting and expanding to European cannabis business markets?
Brought to you by the researchers and journalists of Marijuana Business Daily International, Medical Cannabis in Europe: The Markets and Opportunities (2nd Edition) is the most comprehensive and realistic assessment to date on the state of medical cannabis markets throughout Europe – and how to capitalize on the opportunities.
This in-depth report is filled with actionable information and key findings, including:
- Real data on size of and outlook for key medical cannabis markets in Europe, including Germany, Italy and the Netherlands
- How to understand the differences in licensing structures in leading European markets
- Legal frameworks for countries with a primary goal of exporting
- Where business opportunities exist and what they are
- Predicting the next big European cannabis markets
Free Webinar | Know the Nuances: Share Structure to Leasebacks and Taxes Between
- How cannabis ownership structures can divert upside away from common equity.
- The business and investment implications of tax regulations such as 280E.
- Where adjacent opportunities exist
Free Webinar | From Production to Retail: A Look at the Current State of Germany’s Cannabis Market
Germany is Europe’s economic powerhouse, and when it comes to cannabis, what happens there impacts the entire European market.
In this free webinar, David Henn, CEO of Cannamedical, Hendrik Knopp, managing director of Aphria Germany and Nordic, and Patrick Hoffmann, Co-founder of Cantourage, discuss how the cannabis market in Germany is developing and what changes are on deck for the industry.
Henn, Knopp and Hoffmann examine:
- Germany’s current supply situation.
- Details about the importation process.
- How Germany is getting ready for it’s first domestic harvest and what it means for the market.
- New developments in Europe’s largest cannabis market, including the new reimbursement price agreement between pharmacies and insurers.
Free Report | Cultivation Snapshot: U.S. Wholesale Marijuana Prices and Supply
Over the last few years, wholesale marijuana supply and prices have experienced dramatic highs and lows in mature adult-use markets such as Colorado, Washington state and Oregon. Newer markets such as Illinois, Massachusetts and Michigan are starting out strong with both high wholesale prices and constrained supply. And medical marijuana programs are all over the map.
This newly updated free report analyzes the overall wholesale situation and provides businesses with what to look for in trends, identifies where they are in the price trend cycle and allows them to see how saturated the market is in order to make informed investment decisions.
Free Calculator | Cannabis Business Plan Tool
In tumultuous times, marijuana businesses need an easy way to plan for multiple scenarios:
If revenue drops 20 percent will you still be profitable? If you sell more product, will your costs begin to overrun your profit? If you offer a 10 percent pay increase, what is the impact on your bottom line?
MJBiz has now made it easy for you to play out as many scenarios as you want.
Download our free Excel spreadsheet, then input your data. The sheet does the math for you.
Get a clear picture of how a prolonged pandemic situation — or other variables — might impact your business.
Free Webinar | MJBizDaily Investor Intelligence The State of the Cannabis Industry and 2020 Trends
Short-term challenges create long-term opportunities: Join Investor Intelligence’s premier analysts, Craig Behnke and Mike Regan, as they delve into how to find the diamonds in the rough, which can be found even in the current capital climate.
Free Webinar | Tapping the Stimulus Package and Other Business Assistance Programs
In response to the recent COVID-19 pandemic, the federal government approved a $2.2 trillion economic stimulus package. Hemp operators and ancillary businesses who have been impacted have the opportunity to receive assistance through this program, amongst many other resources. But where do you start? This free webinar with Jonathan Miller, general counsel of the U.S. Hemp Round Table, and Phillip McCready, co-founder of Colorado Hemp Industries Collaborative. Jonathan and Phillip will discuss:
- Federal aid and other options currently available to hemp operators
- Who is eligible
- How you can apply
Free Webinar | Financial Assistance Programs Available to Marijuana Businesses and What to Expect Moving Forward
The federal government has released an expansive relief package, the Coronavirus Aid, Relief and Economic Security Act (CARES), but its sweeping mandate excludes the marijuana industry because of its federally illegal status. But that doesn’t mean there aren’t any options for cannabis companies in this difficult time. Access this webinar and hear from MJBizDaily’s senior reporter John Schroyer and Codie Sanchez, managing director of Entourage Effect Capital as they discuss what’s available now and what to look forward to.
Free Webinar | COVID-19 and California’s Cannabis Industry
California’s cannabis industry was already dealing with a host of challenges before the coronavirus took aim. Now the market has a new set of challenges to navigate.
John Schroyer, MJBizDaily’s senior reporter based in Sacramento, hosted a webcast on Thursday, March 26, and addressed your questions on how the industry is adapting to the new uncertainty and how companies can position themselves for survival.
Free Report | Crisis Management in Cannabis Report
Preparing for a crisis is a universal business issue.
The vape crisis last fall caught the industry by surprise – and companies responded in a variety of ways. The COVID-19 pandemic is giving those companies a chance to put some of those responses to the test and offering new challenges to overcome.
What can be learned from these events and responses that can prepare cannabis companies for the next crisis-level event? The FREE report Crisis Management in Cannabis will dive into how to prepare for crises and, when they do happen, how to manage them.
Topics in this report include:
PREVENTION. While it’s impossible to guarantee absolute crisis prevention, there are certain steps that will decrease the impact of a crisis such as controls and testing, using your technology wisely and doing more to fight the illicit market, including pressuring regulators.
MANAGEMENT. Crises are inevitable but there are ways to prepare and respond more effectively, such as creating a crisis control team and plan, ensuring you have proper insurance and making sure your business is well diversified and well prepared financially.
2019 Annual Hemp & CBD Industry Factbook
When even federal agencies can’t provide reliable tracking data, this exclusively business-focused Factbook offers analysis and better understanding of the current and future challenges needed to make the most accurate and informed business decisions.
Whether you’re a cultivator, extractor, investor, entrepreneur, manufacturer or retailer, this Factbook is the most comprehensive and reliable data resource for the hemp and CBD industry available today.
The 2019 Annual Hemp & CBD Industry Factbook offers:
- 30+ charts exploring and analyzing the hemp & CBD market from critical angles including retail forecasts, consumer demand, production and more
- 10 profiles of top hemp-producing states, with highlights of market conditions and retail trends
- Regulatory outlook, best practices, and future considerations for cultivators and processors seeking to meet consumer demand
- Benchmarks and wholesale prices, plus prices for hemp seeds and clone varietals
- Pain points for growers and processors with a focus on input costs and per acre profits
Free Report | California Market Report: Illicit Market Woes
In the two years that recreational marijuana has been legal in California, success in reducing and eliminating the illicit market has been lackluster, due in part to new state and local regulations, new taxes and a supply chain that is still finding its footing.
It’s not as though this huge illicit market popped up overnight when legal sales began in January 2018. Rather, it evolved over decades. As of February 2020, the state’s Bureau of Cannabis Control had roughly 2,500 open investigations into reported illegal marijuana shops and delivery services.
Topics in this report include:
- Marijuana sales from 2018, with projections through 2023
- Comparison to other states’ marijuana sales in year two
- Overview of the drivers of California’s thriving illicit market
- Analysis of the effects of the illicit market
- What to watch in California
In this report, MJBizDaily provides a macro perspective on how the illicit market is contributing to the underperformance of the legal market.
Free Report | Best Practices: Cannabis Cultivation
In this free report, you’ll find information on what dozens of cannabis company executives and workers have learned about how to grow cannabis, including insights on improving trimming, watering, lighting, nutrients and cost of production.
There’s no one right way to grow cannabis, but the tips collected in this report are tried and true and will help get you on the right path.
From pre-planting to prepping for sale, topics in this report include:
- Living Soil
- Genetics and techniques to grow for extraction
- Irrigation strategies
- How to fight mold and mildew
- How to control odors
- Tips on cutting, hanging and drying cannabis
- How to cure and trim to create a quality end product
- Managing Energy Costs
Now we have, all in one place, strategies across the board for thinking about better methods to grow cannabis.
Free Report | Cannabis in Latin America: The Regulations and Opportunities
DIGITAL REPORT NOW AVAILABLE: This is the first, in-depth report dedicated to exploring the state of cannabis in Latin America and the Caribbean, focusing on regulations and opportunities in this rapidly expanding market.
This complimentary report, brought to you by the researchers and journalists of MJBizDaily, is full of insights and guidance on how to tap into a market with global implications while weighing the unique challenges to investing or doing business within the region.
Intended for investors and business operators looking to enter or expand operations in the region, this in-depth exploration of cannabis business markets and sectors across Latin America and the Caribbean provides extensive, unbiased data and analysis, including:
- General overview for continent/region
- Exploring unique challenges of investing or doing business in the region
- Country-by-country focus on barriers and opportunities available
- Market forecasts and size estimates
- Recognizing prospects and opportunities by region and country
- Import/Export barriers and concerns
- Updates on licensing and legal concerns by country
Featured cannabis business markets in the report include: Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Jamaica, Mexico, Peru and more.
Free Report | Women & Minorities in the Cannabis Industry
This complimentary report is the only report of its kind to look at diversity in the cannabis industry and includes numerous charts exploring and analyzing women and minorities’ roles in the cannabis marketplace, including:
- Percentages of women and minority-owned businesses
- Breakdown of license applications (Massachusetts)
- Comparison of women executives in industry year by year
- Multiple factors that drive low participation in industry
- Exploration of criteria for retail licenses (Illinois)
- Status of social equity provisions by state & market
Join in as we explore, promote and encourage discussion of diversity throughout the marijuana industry.
Free Report | Medical Cannabis in Europe: The Markets and Opportunities
Brought to you by the researchers and journalists of Marijuana Business Daily International, Medical Cannabis in Europe: The Markets and Opportunities is the most comprehensive look to date on the state of medical cannabis business markets throughout Europe.
What are the opportunities and barriers to investing, expanding or exporting to European cannabis business markets? Use this complimentary report to determine which European medical cannabis markets have the most potential to impact your business involvement – what opportunities exist, and where to find them.
This free report provides an in-depth look at the varied cannabis business markets and sectors in Europe, including:
- Countries that have developed the medical cannabis export framework
- Early-stage medical cannabis programs
- Identifying the next big cannabis markets in Europe
- Market size estimates and forecasts
- Legal frameworks and licensing structures
- Business opportunities and challenges that businesses may face to access key cannabis markets
Featured cannabis business markets in the report include: Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, France, Germany, Greece, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, North Macedonia, Poland, Portugal, Spain, Switzerland, United Kingdom, and Nordic-Baltic countries.
Free Report | Snapshot CALIFORNIA: One Year In
On Jan. 1, 2018, recreational and medical marijuana became legal in California – potentially the largest cannabis market in the world. One year in, what is the impact of legal marijuana in California?
What are the opportunities in retail, cultivation, manufacturing, distribution and other critical sectors? Full of expert business analysis on cannabis in California, this report is full of guidance on how to tap into one of the world’s most promising markets.
Get a comprehensive overview of the California market, including a snapshot of what cities and counties do and do not allow, and understand the evolving business opportunities in the recreational, medicinal and transitioning gray markets to achieve business success.
Who should use this report?
- Executives leading or planning to build a California cannabis business
- Ancillary business developers hoping to service California’s retailers and cultivators
- Investors seeking opportunities to grow and diversify their portfolio
- Operators needing insight into the status of each cannabis sector
Free Report | SPECIAL REPORT: 2018 Farm Bill
The hemp industry experienced a seismic shift with the passage of the 2018 Farm Bill: Cultivation of hemp is now federally legal, and so is hemp-derived CBD. Hemp Industry Daily breaks down the new rules for you in our SPECIAL REPORT on the future state of the industry, 2018 Farm Bill: What’s Next for Hemp? This is the expert analysis for the hemp & CBD markets you need to quickly – and wisely – take advantage of the new landscape.
This special report breaks down:
- What’s allowed now vs. pre-Farm Bill
- What to expect from the FDA and the USDA
- The state of retail – including the mainstream corporations eyeing hemp & CBD
- How to decide if investors should pull the trigger now – or wait for the shakeout
- PLUS: How the change in U.S. policy will affect the global landscape
Free Report | Hire Learning: Best Practices for Hiring in Cannabis
Unlock your FREE report for essential guidance on:
- How to find qualified candidates for positions with unique needs
- Where to tap talent sources – even from other industries.
- What goals and career paths will hold the best and brightest at your company.
- Identify the superstar roles that hold your teams together and achieve business goals.
- BONUS: Money talks! Get the salary information for benchmarking by market what makes you the most competitive place in town.
Free Report | Industry Insight: Countries to Watch
- Evolving government regulations around the world affecting cannabis licenses
- Current laws and the potential to influence policy in emerging cannabis nations
- Market opportunities, licensing restrictions, government involvement and the forecast for profit in 10 identified countries of interest
- Regional and national market saturation and consumer interest data
- Optimizing global involvement in every industry sector
Access Archive of Research Reports
- Free resources available
- Comprehensive data analysis navigating multiple niches across the marijuana industry
- Exclusive findings curated and compiled by expert researchers and editors
- Insights setting industry standards and driving business decisions today