The cannabis industry is poised for huge growth in 2018 thanks in part to the start of California’s new recreational marijuana market and the expected launch of Canada’s adult-use industry.
Combined, the two markets will generate billions of dollars in sales and create tens of thousands of business opportunities.
The changing business climate will lead to new challenges, struggles and, potentially, failures for companies and the individuals behind them.
To be sure, there are scores of executives who could be included on this type of list.
It’s by no means comprehensive, nor is it meant to “rank” executives in any fashion.
Rather, it’s a sampling of some individuals from across the industry who we think are worth keeping an eye on for a variety of reasons, including:
- Their company is planning or poised for significant expansion.
- Their business is encountering fierce business or financial headwinds.
- Their company is staking out a new path for the marijuana industry.
- Their business is positioned to capitalize on the launch of a major new marijuana market.
- The individual is positioned to influence key marijuana regulations and policy.
To read the case for each of our 20 People to Watch in 2018, click on their names below:
- Steve DeAngelo, Harborside/FLRish, Executive Director
- Isaac Dietrich, MassRoots, CEO
- Kristina Garcia, Women Grow, CEO
- Christina Gonzalez, G FarmaBrands, CEO
- Virgil Grant, Southern California Coalition, President; California Minority Alliance, Secretary; California Cannabis, CEO
- Jim Hagedorn, Scotts Miracle-Gro, CEO
- Bob Hoban, Hoban Law Group, Managing Partner
- Jesce Horton, Saints Cannabis, CEO; PV Ventures, CEO (Note: Horton also landed on the list because of his involvement with the Minority Cannabis Business Association, but he has since resigned from the group.)
- Pete Kadens, Green Thumb International, CEO
- Tim Keogh, AmeriCann, CEO
- Chris Leavy, MedMen, Co-Chairman and Partner
- Bruce Linton, Canopy Growth, CEO
- Asha Oroskar, Orochem Technologies, CEO
- Amy Poinsett, MJ Freeway, CEO
- Kim Rivers, Trulieve, CEO
- Rob Sands, Constellation Brands, CEO
- Sundie Seefried, Colorado Credit Union, CEO; Safe Harbor Private Banking, Chairwoman
- Michael Steinmetz, Flow Kana, CEO
- Noah Stokes, The Cannabis Distribution Co. and CannaGuard, CEO
- Nancy Whiteman, Wana Brands, Co-owner