Canada’s largest cannabis company by revenue has appointed David Klein as its new CEO, effective Jan. 15, 2020.
Klein will be based out of Canopy’s headquarters in Smiths Falls, Ontario.
Klein will step down from his role at Constellation, a New York-based alcohol giant.
He takes the reins from Mark Zekulin, who agreed to remain as Canopy’s sole CEO after the board of directors fired co-CEO Bruce Linton on July 3.
Klein’s executive capabilities, according to a news release, include:
- Consumer packaged goods and beverage alcohol industry experience.
- Strong financial orientation.
- Experience operating in regulated markets in the United States, Canada, Mexico and Europe.
- Building consumer brands.
- Leveraging operational scale across a dispersed production footprint.
- Developing diverse and high performing teams.
Included in Klein’s role as CFO at Constellation was overseeing the company’s mergers and acquisitions and information technology.
Klein was awarded “best CFO” three years in a row by Institutional Investor magazine.
“Canopy Growth sits at the forefront of one of the most exciting new market opportunities in our lifetime,” Klein said.
Zekulin will step down as CEO and resign his board seat effective Dec. 20, 2019.