Global measurement and data analytics company Nielsen has formed an alliance with Seattle-based cannabis analytics firm Headset to provide insights about the U.S. marijuana market to consumer packaged goods (CPG) businesses.
According to a news release, the two firms are joining forces as New York-based Nielsen develops “a full suite” of cannabis measurement capabilities to help inform CPG companies about the marijuana industry.
Nielsen’s consumer research capabilities will be intertwined with Headset’s point-of-sale data for cannabis products, collected from “key” states with legal recreational marijuana markets.
Here’s what you need to know:
- Headset and Nielsen plan to provide insights into market trends, segments, brands and products in the legal marijuana economy as well as study consumer attitudes, product preferences and others within CPG categories.
- Nielsen recently acquired Cannabiz Consumer Group, which studies the impact of marijuana legalization on CPG consumer spending and shopping behavior trends.
- At the beginning of 2019, Headset raised $12 million for expansion, with Canadian marijuana giant Canopy Growth Corp. acquiring a key stake.
- The first product from the alliance will be an industry report that analyzes market dynamics and offers insights into U.S. cannabis purchasing behavior.
- The two companies also plan to offer similar analytics about the Canadian market.
- Nielsen Holdings trades on the New York Stock Exchange under the ticker symbol NLSN.