‘McDonald’s of marijuana’ shuttered by law enforcement

A popular Washington State cannabis shop that locals referred to as the “McDonald’s of marijuana” has reportedly closed after the store was raided and its owner charged with several criminal counts.

Grow Systems Northwest, which served customers via a drive-thru window, was raided on July 2. Police say the Vancouver store didn’t have a business license to grow, manufacture or sell cannabis.

Owner Adam Alexander was arrested and charged with manufacturing marijuana and money laundering. He was reportedly serving hundreds of customers and pulling in $5,000 to $10,000 in cash each day, according to KPTV in Oregon.

Alexander reportedly denied any wrongdoing, saying he was providing consulting services and giving away marijuana for free.

On the day of Alexander’s arrest, local police also seized “dozens” of plants and nearly 20 pounds of cannabis from his shop andhomes where he was allegedly growing marijuana.

10 comments on “‘McDonald’s of marijuana’ shuttered by law enforcement
  1. Seth Tyrssen on

I can’t help but suspect that there’s more to this story than meets the eye. Operating in so public, and profitable, manner without a license? That’s almost unbelievable. The underground “outlaw” business just doesn’t work that way. Interested in seeing details.

• David on

I believe I know the person who ran this store. If this is the same person of whom I’m familiar with, his motives can only be seen (in my opinion) as altruistic and wanting only to help truly sick medical patients in need. What he did shouldn’t be against the law in a State that legalized MMJ in 1998!

2. David on

You are wrong regarding over the counter drugs available without a scrip. They are designed to treat a variety of ailments, the classic example is aspirin and another is antacids. Most prescriptions are able to work on several different illnesses. I do not believe that MJ should be legalized as a recreational drug and believe that both cigarettes and alcohol should be outlawed based on the cost in lost live and the cost to the medical system (there are better drugs for stress relief , the only reason to drink ! And cigarettes, let’s just say “stupid is as stupid does”. As for reality shows, I thought Harborside would be above that, but it looks like intelligence has skipped a generation there, too bad.
    As far as your magazine goes, I don’t know how many millions of dollars you have already made, but it sounds like your worried about how much more you can make rather than it being an honest forum for research, leaglazation, and professionalism. If you look at Colorado, the numbers are in and it is young people, with little education looking to avoid DWI’s and get high. Let’s stick with MMJ, get it right and tackle the real health threats in America.

• David on

“I do not believe that MJ should be legalized as a recreational drug and believe that both cigarettes and alcohol should be outlawed based on the cost in lost live and the cost to the medical system”
      Really? You want America to return to the gangsterism of alcohol prohibition as happened from 1920-1933?? I’m no big defender of alcohol, althoughI am a vehement opponent of any form of nationalized prohibition. It’s Fascism of the kind the Nazi would have loved.

3. Dr. James Chappell on

Under our UNALIENABLE Right to Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness, we have a Right to earn a living. It is NOT illegal to work. However, our public SERVANTS create a law converting our Rights into privileges controlled by license and permit. They have made working and earning a living illegal without their permission. How did that happen?

4. dr. tony antonio on

The “licenses” they didn’t have were the newly authorized mmj / rec license. This was a new requirement that does not go into effect until July 1, 2016.

The whole event was a publicity stunt by law enforcement.

• David on

Yes! It’s hard to obtain a licence which doesn’t exist until next Summer. It’s my hope that Washington’s dreadful new anti-patient law SB 5052 will be on life support or at least on life support care by this time next year

5. Traci on

I am very concerned that we are going to “turn loose” our medical patients into the recreational market. Having worked in 2 dispensaries I consulted and helped patients figure out what they needed. There isn’t a medical doctor that knows what to tell their patients on how to medicate with cannabis, using certain strains or what have you. A recreational store is staffed with clerks who are generally not medical patients themselves. This is a very gray area. What the hell.

• David on

Traci,
      It’s my fear what you fear has already happened. This is all being driven by some greedy recreational marijuana store owners with MMJ dollar signs in their eyes who couldn’t care less about Washington’s sick medical patients, only our money.

6. Seth Tyrssen on

Traci — I’d be most interested in learning more. A few details. Are specific strains in specific doses or forms (smoke, oil, edibles, etc.) recommended for specific ailments? I’m no doctor — but I’ve found that the use of whatever Sacred herb happened to come along (underground black market, here in Georgia) was of great help to me, and in conjunction with personal energy-work, finally enabled me to throw away all the pain-pills and other Big Pharma junk that wasn’t working.