Rhode Island Official Concerned About MJ Grows After Fire

A five-alarm fire this week at a building that housed the headquarters of a cannabis association in Rhode Island – among other businesses – now has at least one state official worried about the safety of marijuana cultivation operations.

“We’ve had at least two fires related to marijuana grow facilities in the state,” State Fire Marshal John Chartier told a Providence news site. “A grow facility might be installed not quite up to code, which could lead to electric overloads, or be using butane as part of the process.”

Chartier’s concerns could potentially translate into new regulations on the industry if state lawmakers and regulators become worried as well.

This week’s fire is still under investigation, and it’s not clear what caused the blaze. But it happened in an office building that housed both the Cannabis Producers Association of New England and the Rhode Island Patient Advocacy Coalition.

The latter organization teaches regular classes on how to grow cannabis, as well as how to produce bubble hash and tinctures.

There’s no word yet on whether butane was being used on Monday, when the fire began. But hash oil explosions in other states have become more common, as enthusiasts try to replicate highly scientific and dangerous processes at home.

5 comments on “Rhode Island Official Concerned About MJ Grows After Fire
  1. Ryan on

    More than 50% of Americans use either propane or methane “natural gas” to cook their food. Using proper equipment and some training most of them survive. Butane makes a better extract than Co2 or ice water. Regulate, but don’t try taking it away.

    Reply
  2. Rhode Islander on

    As a Rhode Islander who is employed minutes from the burned mill, I can inform you that the cannabis activist office was in a SEPARATE building that only sustained water damage. This unfortunately has become a propaganda story. Look further for the facts!

    Reply
  3. JoAnne Leppanen on

    The RI Patient Advocacy Coalition (RIPAC) DOES NOT teach patients to extract using butane. We do not grow cannabis or have plants, other than the ones for demonstration at classes. None of our activities had anything to do with the fire. In fact, our part of the building was untouched by the fire.
    We teach licensed patients to grow safely and legally. We have serious concerns about butane and encourage safer extraction methods.
    This is a difficult time for us. It has been made all the more difficult by rumors and innuendos that taint the entire MMj Program.
    You should know better.

    Reply
  4. Louis Lemieux on

    Dear editor, Did you learn journalism at the state sponsored disinformation shill school? They do have public police & fire logs where you get facts not false assumptions and criminal insinuations to derail someone. Your article is narrow minded with a prohibitionist slant that I find repulsive.

    Reply
  5. know the truth on

    Let me tell the person who said the building did not house the marijuana facility. Knowing first hand from working there years ago you are 2000% wrong. 498 Kinsley Ave is where Grosca (Gro Sales Clubs of America)is/was so before you speak get your stories straight and someone should investigate other “fires” these people were involved in. 498 Kinsley Ave is exactly where this was.

    Reply

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *