Arkansas to activate medical cannabis cards Feb. 15

Patients who registered for Arkansas’ medical marijuana program will see their cards become active next week, but dispensaries in the state likely won’t have the ability to sell MMJ to them until April at the soonest.

The active ID cards could potentially allow eager patients to travel to neighboring Oklahoma – which allows reciprocity for out-of-state cardholders – despite warnings against traveling across state lines with medical marijuana.

The cards become active Feb. 15. So far, roughly 7,000 patients have signed up for the state’s medical cannabis program.

More information about MMJ identification cards in Arkansas can be found here.

26 comments on “Arkansas to activate medical cannabis cards Feb. 15
  1. Dan Troxel on

Although the very earliest a dispensary will be opened is in April, why weren’t the cards not provided a FULL year of use, rather than making them legal for only 10 months, before being forced to renew them? Should the dispensary in my area not open until the Summer of 2019, then their validity has been shortened even more so.
    Not all patients are able to travel to Cotton Plant or Oklahoma for that matter, nor spend the additional resources for a temporary 30-day card there.

• Joe King on

As they continue to steal our money and waste our time. 6500 people screwed for 3 months at $5 a month for price of yearly prescription card. That’s roughly 30 thousand dollars. They are thieves. We deserve compensation.

2. jd on

i wouldn’t advise traveling back from oklahoma to arkansas….there is,what i’ve always referred to as the “”gauntlet”” miles and miles of hiding place for state troopers and worse-highway patrol.they arkansas tags heading back ,they think that is proper probable cause ,which it isn’t……i know we need medicine,but there are other ways ….most are good cops ,but there is always that one over zealous jurk,out to make name for themselves……i’m not advocating a crime but someone told me about skymall,,,,but,now your dealing with U.S. postal marshal….it just ain’t worth it….crap scares me to death……..my advice is to be patient…..good luck and GOD bless

• Charles Dobbs on

I agree with NOT going to OK, AR has the Worst MJ laws. And AR politicians are Anti MJ, Not because, As they say It’s dangerous, Or that they care about our Children, It’s because 99% of AR politicians are corrupt. And if everyone would just wait a little longer, the prices will drop. Just like in other MMJ states. We’ve had to wait 2
      Over 2 years now. A few more months is nothing.

• Luckydog on

Not going to pay Oklahoma $100.00 for a permit to buy pot that’s $40.00 1/8 oz. Not to mention the chance of getting busted coming back across state lines our sorry governor has already put the word out so the law will be thick near the border.

• Kavan Kilgore on

That varies in every state. Even OK has zips $160 up to $400. States like Oregon, who have had a program 20 years have ounces as low as $50. The number is dependent on cost to produce, supply and quality.

3. jd on

got mine yesterday…now….where’s the medicine…..2-3 more months without medicine and now the card will have a use deficit of less than 12 months,,,can’t arkansas do anything right???

4. Marvin Boling on

Well, it wasn’t here before and we survived so why prematurely get the card before availability and shorten the life of the card. Just wait till april fools day and see how it goes.

5. Matt Alexander on

I guess this article somewhat answered my question. So if say some of the cultivation sites have medicine ready in April for distribution, will only the nearest dispensaries receive the medicine and open for business? I don’t see a cultivation site south of Little Rock so I imagine if this is the case then all the dispensaries near these sites will have “dibs” (for lack of a better word) on the first amount that is ready. So someone living in south Arkansas like myself will still not have access unless I make the drive each time(possibly 2-3 hrs.). Hopefully this won’t be the case and they will all open at the same time, but if everything continues to go as it has here in AR, that’s unlikely. And like someone said in another comment the price will be based on supply and the MCC only approving 5 cultivation sites????, I do imagine it’s going to be pricey. I’m just ready for this to get rolling(lol) and see how well it goes.

6. Char on

I’m not going to spend Any money on a Card when there is NO Medicine available. Makes No since.I would NOT go to OK, AR has some of the Worst MJ Laws. We Are in AR, With some of the Most Corrupt politicians in Office. Accusations of Bribes from the start. And if anyone has talked to our government officials they would of found out they are ALL Anti Marijuana. Well Anti Medical because of the corruption. I can’t afford 400 an OZ, After a while the prices will drop. Just like it has in other MM states.

7. Charlie Burrow on

Today is March?11/2019……according to the office that controls the cards …It was sent out February? 8/2019.My application was approved October?…2017….Is anyone having the same problem…..?I live in Bentonville Ar.

8. Brenda on

Why would Arkansas still three months on these cards from us are they so crooked that they can blatantly put it in our face like this this corruption is way out of line the harassment Arkansas has given to the people is out of line I will be glad when the people rise above their political party and take control

9. John on

Date on cannabis card was issues Feb 14th…..after sending in Paper work again…..i finally receive my card the 20th of march….

10. mike on

I’ve heard that the everyones card would become effective on the date that the first dispensary in the state begin to sell the product regardless of the date listed on the card and would be good for
    .one year from that date before it has to be renewed. Hopefully this is fact, to me its the only way to that’s fair for the ones that applied and received their card early.

11. Tami on

All these comments answered my question GREAT JOB ARKANSAS stealing from people who SCRAPED money together JUST so they can be out of pain enough to WORK…