Canadian retail sales of regulated adult-use cannabis totaled 347.2 million Canadian dollars ($275.2 million) in January, according to new data from the country’s statistics authority.
The January sales figure represents a 2.1% decline from retail cannabis sales of CA$354.8 million in December and 24.2% growth over January 2021.
Canada’s monthly record for marijuana sales, set in October 2021, was CA$364.2 million.
Retail cannabis sales declined on a monthly basis in every province except two, Statistics Canada figures show.
Sales in Ontario, Canada’s largest provincial marijuana market, increased by 7.6% over December to CA$137 million in January, comprising 39.5% of the country’s monthly total.
In Saskatchewan, sales grew by 1.5% over December to CA$14.5 million.
In the remaining provinces, January sales totals and month-over-month sales declines were:
- Alberta: CA$61.5 million (-6.5%)
- Quebec: CA$47.9 million (-13.8%)
- British Columbia: CA$50 million (-4.5%)
- Manitoba: CA$13.1 million (-6.4%)
- Nova Scotia: CA$7.8 million (-10%)
- New Brunswick: CA$6.4 million (-8.7%)
- Newfoundland and Labrador: CA$5.6 million (-7.2%)
January sales totaled CA$1.8 million in Canada’s smallest province, Prince Edward Island, but Statistics Canada did not provide a December figure for comparison.
The data bureau also reported CA$808,000 in January cannabis sales in Yukon Territory, without a December figure.
Sales figures for Canada’s remaining two territories, the Northwest Territories and Nunavut, were not reported.
Get the MJBizDaily Extraction Buyers Guide, now available.
This free resource offers practical business tips and valuable insights from cannabis extraction professionals to help plan or scale your extraction or processing operation with confidence.
Inside the MJBizDaily Extraction Buyers Guide:
- In-depth guidance for planning a CBD extraction business
- Best practices in sourcing solvents + solventless materials
- Lessons in shopping for extraction/processing equipment
- Tips for outfitting a facility for psilocybin mushroom extraction
- And more!
January cannabis retail sales in selected Canadian cities and month-over month sales changes were:
- Toronto: CA$46.9 million (+6.4%)
- Montreal: CA$25.8 million (-11.3%)
- Edmonton, Alberta: CA$20.7 million (-7.7%)
- Vancouver, British Columbia: CA$17.5 million (+0.8%)
- Calgary, Alberta: CA$17.4 million (-4.9%)
- Ottawa, Ontario: CA$13.7 million (+7.2%)
- Winnipeg, Manitoba: CA$8.8 million (-6%)
- Quebec City: CA$5.2 million (-15.4%)
- Gatineau, Quebec: CA$1.5 million (-20.6%)
Statistics Canada’s January cannabis retail sales data is available here.