Regulated sales of recreational cannabis totaled 364.2 million Canadian dollars ($281.7 million) in October, a monthly record.
October cannabis sales grew by nearly 2.8% over September’s total, according to retail sales figures reported Tuesday by national data bureau Statistics Canada.
Monthly recreational cannabis sales increased in all provincial markets tracked by Statistics Canada except New Brunswick, where sales dipped by 2.8% to CA$7.1 million.
Adult-use consumers in Ontario, the largest provincial market, bought CA$145.7 million worth of legal marijuana, a month-over-month increase of nearly 3%.
Shoppers in Alberta spent CA$63.2 million on cannabis in October, a 4.1% monthly increase.
In Quebec, monthly sales grew by 2.3% to CA$52.5 million.
In the remaining provinces, October sales and monthly sales growth were:
- British Columbia: CA$50.5 million (+2.7%)
- Manitoba: CA$13.9 million (+0.6%)
- Saskatchewan: CA$13.8 million (+1.5%)
- Nova Scotia: CA$8.1 million (+0.6%)
- Newfoundland and Labrador: CA$5.7 million (+7.6%)
Get the MJBizDaily Extraction Buyers Guide, now available.
This free resource offers practical business tips and valuable insights from cannabis extraction professionals to help plan or scale your extraction or processing operation with confidence.
Inside the MJBizDaily Extraction Buyers Guide:
- In-depth guidance for planning a CBD extraction business
- Best practices in sourcing solvents + solventless materials
- Lessons in shopping for extraction/processing equipment
- Tips for outfitting a facility for psilocybin mushroom extraction
- And more!
Statistics Canada did not report retail cannabis sales for the smallest province, Prince Edward Island, or for Canada’s three territories.
October cannabis retail sales in selected Canadian cities were:
- Toronto: CA$49.5 million (+4.7%)
- Montreal: CA$27.2 million (+3.4%)
- Edmonton, Alberta: CA$21.7 million (+5.2%)
- Calgary, Alberta: CA$17.5 million (+3.8%)
- Vancouver, British Columbia: CA$16.6 million (+3.3%)
- Ottawa, Ontario: CA$14.5 million (-0.4%)
- Winnipeg, Manitoba: CA$9.3 million (+1.1%)
- Quebec City: CA$5.9 million (+2.9%)
- Gatineau, Quebec: CA$1.8 million (+2.6%)
Statistics Canada’s October cannabis retail sales report is available here.