Regulated sales of recreational cannabis totaled 364.2 million Canadian dollars ($281.7 million) in October, a monthly record.
October cannabis sales grew by nearly 2.8% over September’s total, according to retail sales figures reported Tuesday by national data bureau Statistics Canada.
Monthly recreational cannabis sales increased in all provincial markets tracked by Statistics Canada except New Brunswick, where sales dipped by 2.8% to CA$7.1 million.
Adult-use consumers in Ontario, the largest provincial market, bought CA$145.7 million worth of legal marijuana, a month-over-month increase of nearly 3%.
Shoppers in Alberta spent CA$63.2 million on cannabis in October, a 4.1% monthly increase.
In Quebec, monthly sales grew by 2.3% to CA$52.5 million.
In the remaining provinces, October sales and monthly sales growth were:
- British Columbia: CA$50.5 million (+2.7%)
- Manitoba: CA$13.9 million (+0.6%)
- Saskatchewan: CA$13.8 million (+1.5%)
- Nova Scotia: CA$8.1 million (+0.6%)
- Newfoundland and Labrador: CA$5.7 million (+7.6%)
Grow better: MJBizDaily Greenhouse Components Buyers Guide
Maximize your output and quality with the right equipment. Curated by the editors of MJBizDaily, our new, free Greenhouse Components Buyers Guide helps you choose wisely and covers irrigation, automation and ROI.
- Cannabis greenhouse buyers checklist
Keep track of everything you need.
- Pros and cons of common benching systems
Help weigh out the best choice for your greenhouse benching system with this overview.
- Cannabis greenhouse Glossary of Terms
What is evaportranspiration? Download the guide to find out and learn more technical jargon unique to greenhouse and the cannabis industry.
Statistics Canada did not report retail cannabis sales for the smallest province, Prince Edward Island, or for Canada’s three territories.
October cannabis retail sales in selected Canadian cities were:
- Toronto: CA$49.5 million (+4.7%)
- Montreal: CA$27.2 million (+3.4%)
- Edmonton, Alberta: CA$21.7 million (+5.2%)
- Calgary, Alberta: CA$17.5 million (+3.8%)
- Vancouver, British Columbia: CA$16.6 million (+3.3%)
- Ottawa, Ontario: CA$14.5 million (-0.4%)
- Winnipeg, Manitoba: CA$9.3 million (+1.1%)
- Quebec City: CA$5.9 million (+2.9%)
- Gatineau, Quebec: CA$1.8 million (+2.6%)
Statistics Canada’s October cannabis retail sales report is available here.