An emerging major player in the marijuana industry plans to build a large facility in what might seem an unlikely place: Iowa.
The state’s medical marijuana market allows the sale of only low-THC cannabis, meaning products cannot exceed 3% THC.
Acreage’s advisory board includes former U.S. House Speaker John Boehner.
Here’s what you need to know:
- The state’s health department awarded a cannabis manufacturing license last week to Iowa Relief.
- Acreage has marijuana operations in 12 other states.
- So far, Iowa has awarded licenses for five cannabis retail stores and a cultivation and processor license to MedPharm Iowa.
- Some businesses that have been granted licenses are calling on state regulators to remove the 3% THC limit and allow for a wider variety of products, according to the Register.
- Product is expected to be available in December.
- Only 415 patients have registered in the state for the MMJ program to date.