Former Dixie Employee Blasts CBD Industry, Company

Tamar Wise, the former head of science for Dixie Botanicals, has called out the entire cannabidiol products industry as well as her former employer.

In a post on her Facebook page, Wise said CBD-based products are made from “crude and dirty hemp paste” that is contaminated with microbial life, residual solvents and other toxins. The post is no longer on her page.

“I’m tired of so called CBD companies claiming that what they provide is medicine. Anyone using a CBD from hemp product please be aware of what you’re actually getting b/c it is not what you think,” Wise wrote on her Facebook page. The message was quickly copied and re-posted on several other social media pages of those with an interest in the marijuana industry.

“What these companies are doing is criminal and dangerous…and since I formulated most of these products as head of Dixie science, I feel responsible for spreading the truth.”

In an email, Wise confirmed she wrote the post but declined further comment.

Dixie Elixirs reacted to Wise’s comments with a Facebook post of its own, saying it makes “safe, lab-tested, effective CBD health and wellness products.”

“We are saddened that Ms. Wise has opted to now make slanderous allegations against Dixie Botanicals so long after her departure when none of these concerns ever came up during her term at Dixie,” the post said. “The company abides by strict confidentiality agreements designed to protect the privacy of the company, our employees and our customers. As a result we will not comment on this further and hope Ms. Wise honors these same agreements.”

The comments represent a 180 for Wise, who had previously spoken positively about CBD-based products publicly, and wrote a column for Marijuana Business Daily in 2012 discussing the science behind Dixie’s CBD extraction process.

35 comments on “Former Dixie Employee Blasts CBD Industry, Company
  1. Nonie Ariate on

After reading Tamar’s 2012 article, I did not see any mention of the Dixie botanical line. She seemed to be referring only to Dixie elixirs and editable ThC products testing. Again, she did not mention the process of the hemp paste CBD products until her recent whistle blowing article.

2. Norman Gates on

I am thoroughly disgusted by her actions and curious as to why she would attempt to redirect the public to the Stanley Brothers when they received Dixie Elixirs and Botanicals products on the NatGeo TV show s01e06 of Weed Wars. I suppose when folks resort to smear campaigns on “THE FACEBOOK” they forget the internet is eternal. I prey she gets a second chance though because she was a great source of cannabis and naturopathic information.

3. sherri kohler on

Let’s acknowledge the elephant in the room, shall we? One integral move could clear all this up for MJNA, Dixie Botanicals and HempMed Px. Show us complete lab results, including results for microbial organisms, fungus, mold and other impurities along with CBD percentages. Simple, transparent, and honest. Parents are buying these products for their children at premium prices. Prove your statements MJNA!

4. Nonie Ariate on

“That article written well before Dixie X shipped

That Tamar Wise article about testing was published on July 2, 2012, two months before Dixie began to ship the CBD-only tincture on or about Sept 5, 2012. FWIW, at that time they called it Dixie X, before changing the name to Dixie Botanicals Dew Drops.

While the article mentions extraction, its mostly about the need for good testing to verify potency.

Though she mentions microbial and pesticide screening, she appears to be talking about it in the context of flowers and trim, so she’s referring to marijuana, and not hemp.

She also discussed high-performance liquid chromatography, but it’s in the context of accurately measuring THC content for dosing purposes. I don’t believe you can test for microbes with a HPLC system, instead you have to culture the microbes in a petri dish.

BTW, I’m quite sure that in the new MBD article that mentions her comments and MJNA’s response, the author didn’t understand that the different testing is required for microbes, and so uses her comment about HPLC in the final paragraph, implying that it would detect microbes.”

• Dom on

Challenge testing (petri dish testing) is basic in most fields including food & skincare. For company to be selling ingestible products and not have this 3rd party testing done is not only risky but possibly criminal.

5. Sandra @ Hempista on

Articles like this really break my heart. 🙁 As a seriously ill person taking immune suppression therapy I need to be able to trust my CBD purchases as free of anything that could kill me. And fungus and bacteria DO kill people with suppressed immune systems.

Herbal supplements are not regulated in the USA and there has been numerous exposes over the years of many herbal supplement brands which contain ingredients or contamination that is toxic. It will be absolutely tragic if our MMJ and hemp companies do not step up to the plate to be the good guys of the herbal industry – always transparent, testing, and reliable. Set an example for the mainstream herbal supplement industry!

6. Brandon on

I’m still unclear about the health benefits of CBD products made from Hemp. Is there a study which proves you receive the same benefits?

7. Canuck on

Pay attention to the timeline. It’s clear that after Dixie began buying hemp paste/oil from MJNA/CANV/Phytosphere, that’s when Dixie CEO stepped down from MJNA’s board of directors, that’s when Red Dice Holdings (owned by both Dixie and MJNA) stopped paying MJNA and Cannavest. That’s when Dixie X became Dixie Botanicals. I’m sure it’s all tied to the fact that MJNA was trying to sell shit hemp to Dixie and that’s when Tamar Wise left in disgust that Dixie lowered their standards by using MJNA’s crap that was never tested for microbials and contaminants. The product Werc lab tested was not made from MJNA paste. It’s pretty obvious from the date of that test. I couldn’t believe Dixie Botanicals outright lied and claimed they tested for microbials. Yeah, they did, TWO years ago and for hemp that was not supplied from MJNA – their current supplier, MJNA is the center of all of this controversy. Dixie Botanicals are trying to do damage control but they’re clearly really bad at it.

8. bkk on

Canuck, you are a fool to think that MJNA hemp isnt tested. You sound like tamar a bitter share holder or employee that will say anything to hurt MJNA. You know nothing!!!!

9. Canuck on

bkk – show me test results for microbials/foreign residue that is from at least the last 6 months. You can’t, they don’t exist. It’s obvious that Dixie Botanicals have not tested their products for quality in a year. Perhaps because they know Phytosphere’s oil is shite and didn’t want this confirmed by any lab test results.

10. Lyle Courtsal on

Oh, that dirty hemp oil crap is full of toxins, and solvents. Yup, but it works better than that ritalin that blew out those kids brains at 25 because the nazi nurses at school upp’ed the dose until thay were braindead zombies; I’ll take the dirty hemp oil over the ritalin any day of the week. Of course,the THC helped when the class material was just dead asse boring and the teacher was a blue meanie to boot. Ain’t nothing like living through a boring depressing adolescence with your future ruined by a bunch of dumb mass murdering nazi criminals stoned royally off you asse. Saved my life. . . Lyle Courtsal http://www.3mpub.com

11. Lyle Courtsal on

See? It really IS better for you than alcohol, needle drugs, powder drugs, and prescription drugs; REALLY. What’s wrong with that? Well damn, we cain’t chemically lobotomize that durned hippie telling the truth about the Bushies doing the Syrian gas attacks rather than Assad (See article; Evidence; Syrian Gas Attacks Work of US Allies). See, I really do need to get royally stoned sometimes; it’s become such a damn joke anymore.Especially when you read about what Dick Cheney does to 2 year olds. . . EEEEEuuuuuhhhhhhhhh!!!!!

12. Tudo on

As someone who was on the trial all I can say is it’s worthless garbage. Put me on the stand. I’ll be happy to testify my experiences with this product.

13. Josh on

I doubt this is the place to ask but can I drop the Dixie dew drops on my weed for a higher cbd ratio? Or can I not smoke it that way?

14. Kyle (Staff at L'Eagle) on

Josh, No I wouldn’t suggest that. Dew Drops are a type of tincture that have both outside flavoring agents and any extra chemicals that were passed on by the refinement process. Although these are typically fine for ingestion you shouldn’t inhale them.

15. Hypocrit on

Tamar Wise is a blatant hypocrit. And if she was responsible for the creation of these products, instead of the company being criminal and dangerous, isn’t SHE the criminal and more dangerous? They released these products BASED OFF OF her analysis and science. She’s obviously power hungry and greedy for making these, putting a patent on them, and championing her “science” when she knew, and admitted to knowing, these products were dangerous and unfit for human consumption BEFORE she allowed them to become available to the public. I hope she’s never allowed near a laboratory again. She’s a malignant person who’s trying to trick people into thinking she’s moral and good by whistleblowing AFTER she was fired from the company for being a greedy, ruthless cutthroat.

16. Roland A. Duby on

The high CBD industrial hemp oil is causing the deaths and un-needed surgery for cancer patients who believe the hype that CBD cures cancer. CBD does nothing for cancer unless combined with large amounts of THC.

17. Silverado on

This was just posted on Craig’s List in Seattle which I thought to be interesting. I was looking for some clones/genetics and found this….controversy. It’s just another reason to ALWAYS BUY LOCAL – ALWAYS!!

18. No on

Her arrest records are public, call the Boulder County police department. Tamar Wise is a criminal who was arrested in 2009.

19. IRISHJC on

Here’s the alleged posting by Ms. Wise:

I am tired of so called CBD companies claiming that what they provide is medicine. Anyone using a CBD from hemp product please be aware of what you’re actually getting because it is not what you think. These formulations start with a crude and dirty hemp paste (contaminated with microbial life! I have seen this and these organisms decompose the paste. The paste perhaps even contains residual solvent and other toxins as the extraction is done in China ) made in a process that actually renders it unfit for human consumption.

What these companies are doing is criminal and dangerous. In fact MJNA’s RSHO is literally just this hemp paste diluted in hemp seed oil. No refinement at all!!! And what Dixie Botanicals is offering is beyond disturbing. I cannot keep quiet any more. And since I formulated most of these products as head of Dixie science, I feel responsible for spreading the truth. I left Dixie for ethical reasons but it is not enough to just walk away. These frauds need to be exposed for what they are. Look out for my tell all article coming soon and feel free to contact me directly with questions as it is time to blow the whistle. Let’s keep this industry pure and safe.” — Tamar Wise, formerly head of Dixie Science.

Here’s the most recent press release from Dixie Botanicals denouncing the actions taken by Tamar Wise:

Dixie Botanicals, Denver CO – November 26, 2013

It has come to our attention that Dixie’s former head of science has recently made several salacious accusations about the quality and efficacy of our Dixie Botanicals Cannabidiol (CBD) Hemp Oil Wellness product. While typically, we would not respond to any unfounded allegations, we felt that we needed to speak up. These blatantly false comments are causing fear and ultimately harm to the thousands of people who every day benefit from Dixie Botanical’s products.

Dixie Botanical’s prides itself on the quality and efficacy of our products. We use the highest quality raw material and rigorously test each batch of our products to ensure that they meet the highest standards. All of our products are designed to meet FDA ingredient and labeling compliance and we obtain Certificate of Analysis (CoA) on each batch of raw material to ensure that it is clean of any microbials or solvents, and is high in hemp-based CBD.

We are shocked by Ms. Wise’s allegations that we do not thoroughly test our products as she was responsible for and oversaw these efforts during her tenure as Dixie’s Head of Science from July 5th, 2011 to August 2nd, 2013. To suggest that we use bad product is not only an indictment of the Company, but of Ms. Wise herself and her own scientific practices. To prove the point, we have published test results, including microbial tests, CoA confirmation tests, and product test from the later part of Ms. Wise’s tenure. Needless to say, all raw materials and final product passed our rigorous testing procedures. To view these, please go to http://DixieBotanicals.com/lab-certified-quality/

Ms. Wise and members of her Science team resigned after a dispute with the Company. They believed they were entitled to ownership of intellectual property that was created while they were paid employees of the Company. Clearly, we disagreed since we believed this was part of their job description and we funded their entire research. We accepted their resignation and quickly filled the Head of Science position with Shellene Suemori, a Cellular and Molecular Biologist who has worked on several NASA funded projects. She continues to bring Dixie Botanicals and the science behind our products to the next level.

Dixie Botanical is disappointed in Ms. Wise and her tactics. We understand that she and the other employees that resigned are embarking on a new endeavor called Big Hemp, a company that will compete directly with Dixie Botanicals. This clarifies, in our mind, the objectives of Ms. Wise’s remarks and makes it even more apparent that her motives are less than genuine.

We have no ill feelings towards Ms. Wise and no interest in fighting with former employees – this industry is too small and our mission too big. However, we do have a responsibility to our investors, our employees and most importantly, our customers to not allow the actions of a disgruntled individual harm the hard work of our team.

We hope this is the end of this story. If not, we are prepared to resort to any and all legal remedies at our disposal to protect the integrity of our company and ensure our customers trust the high standards to which we measure ourselves.

20. expat on

Comment #6, Brandon, brings up an important question, where is the science that supports Dixie’s claims? I’d even settle for some clinically observed anecdotal testimonials, but I’ve yet to see any, just dodgy unverifiable testimonials, hyperbole and blind faith in hyperbole. I have cancer and I have investigated the Rick Simpson protocol which didn’t get me “high”, just incredibly lethargic and dull witted. I would love to believe that CBD is all that its cracked up to be, but I await some credible evidence.

• fae linihan on

In 2015, I spoke to my pain specialist who has no problem with MMJ as longer as it is made and monitored properly. That being said he also told me the only way to have a pure product is to grow it yourself, because even local distributors grow their product on unsafe and unsanitary conditions. Those of ud with already compromised immune systems always run the risk of becoming ill by taking any medication and MMJ is no different. What we need is a network of friends’ recommake endations of private growers in our communities that are sanctioned to sell. Large corporations are always questionable in the efficacy and ethics of their products. It is not surprising.

• Dom on

I think this is fantastic idea. At the very least if community of growers can’t be organized then safe step-by-step system should be developed for those who have medical needs for product who can grow from their home.

21. Vito P. on

IrishJC:
    I’ve been attempting to get more recent lab results from Dixie. The website offers nothing new since April 2014. My two inquiries about Salvation Balm remain unanswered. Thank-you.

22. D Mccloskey on

Ok, thank you for the info. This is enough for me not to trust this company. I have already enquired about their product and they said they did not ship worldwide (only reading these posts after having made the enquiry).

23. American Baked Co on

In Washington we are required to test for the recreational market. Another way that WA is doing it right!

24. Ella Nelson on

Thank God Almighty that led me to Dr ricksimpson who with his humanitarian heart helped my Daughter that had cancer of the breast with his Hemp Oil. I am so grateful that my 21 years old daughter is back alive and healthy and can do all the things she like without any hindrance in her life. Dr ricksimpson, your medication is the only cure for cancer,tumor and from the bottom of my heart, I sincerely say you are the best and i will always give thanks to God for you to have long life so you can help many more people on earth with your medical service to humanity.with you i now believe that the hemp Oil is real and True.

25. Rydermgt on

A very interesting article and interesting comments too. I also had the same experience as Ella Nelson and also am grateful to my prayers being answered for a miracle cure and meeting ricksimpson. HIS compassion and recipe for “hemp” oil is what saved my life. In reviewing the products that Ms Wise speaks about – on Dixie’s website, I am stunned at the price for a product that can be purchased far cheaper. Hemp oil from the hemp plant is indeed an extremely healthy oil and complete protein. Since Health Canada regulates hemp production in the North, there are numerous suppliers. The recommended dose for optimal health is 1 tablespoon per 50 lbs of weight. This hemp oil is NOT the same as RSO (ricksimpson oil). In terms of this article, I don’t believe there was any malicious intend on the part of Ms Wise, just a heart that cares about people.

26. Josh on

How do you know what CBD hemp oil you can trust. What are the companies that are making clean pure products that have the amount of CBD they are advertising? I have researched a ton and it’s very hard to tell who to trust. So anyone that has had any experience with CBD hemp oil companies at all please post.

27. harvart on

I am unable to post this in the Success Stories for whatever reason, so I posted here. I was diagnosed with prostate cancer on October 18, 2013. I was advised by my doctor that my only options were to get a prostatectomy or have radiation seeds implanted in my prostate or receive regular external beam radiation. I declined. I knew there had to be other options.
    I scoured the Internet and discovered a wealth of information about cannabis oil curing cancer. I was able to obtain some medical marijuana oil (Rick Simpson Oil) from it and consumed the recommended dosage by mid January.
    On January 26th I had a cancer reassessment which consisted of an MRI with a state of the art Tesla 3 MRI machine. Results – NO SIGN OF CANCER! CANCER FREE!
    One of the things that helped me while going through all this was reading the testimonials and the success stories of those who have used the oil and were cured And with good food diet. Now that this wonderful oil has cured me, I feel I need to let others know as well. Please feel free to contact Rick at: [email protected] .com were i purchased the medication oil from. Thank you, Dante Amato