Louisiana medical cannabis sales launch now expected in June – maybe

Louisiana’s first batch of medical marijuana won’t reach the shelves by the mid-May deadline demanded by pharmacists and patients, further delaying the program’s sales start.

But June’s a possibility.

Louisiana State University’s agricultural center, which oversees one of two state-sanctioned marijuana growers, said it now expects to have some cannabis products ready for testing by state regulators at the end of May.

The release to the pharmacy dispensaries will depend on how long the agriculture department takes to do its testing – and on nothing disrupting production plans to get the product to the department.

“We’re moving as fast as we can,” Hampton Grunewald, with the LSU AgCenter, said at the latest public meeting to update medical marijuana supporters.

“There are hurdles that we’re all trying to jump through.”

Even when LSU’s grower, GB Sciences, gets medical cannabis to the shelves, it’s expected to only provide a limited supply for patients with the most severe conditions.

Frustrated that four years have passed since lawmakers created the framework for dispensing medical cannabis, Louisiana pharmacists licensed to dispense medical marijuana and the patients clamoring for it had called for a May 15 product release.

– Associated Press and Marijuana Business Daily

7 comments on “Louisiana medical cannabis sales launch now expected in June – maybe
  1. Mike on

Louisiana residents please remember all the delays Mike Strain has caused for delaying medical marijuana to patients come Election Day. Medical marijuana should be legal to grow by patients and caregivers just like it is in some other states. All of these delays have been by Mike Strain the agriculture commissioner due to him having full control of the whole program so he can steal the citizens blind of the money that is generated from the medical marijuana program.

2. Patrick on

This is a joke. We legalized medical marijuana but not really. Louisiana politics are a joke. I guess the right palm hasn’t been greased yet.

3. Lucas on

More suffering!! I been aprove for medical marijuana a year ago, bet if he was suffering with Fibromyalgia, cervical disc disease, PTSD, major depression, IBS-C and Insomnia he would get off his as# and do something!! Louisiana thanks for letting me suffer more. LIGALIZE CANNABIS AND TAX IT LIKE BEER AND CIGARETTES!!!

4. mr comer on

after calling the Healing clinic in Shreveport Louisiana thay told me i would be able to smoke it that it was in bud farm after getting up there and them lieing too me i wasnt very happy so i left told them to call me when it hit’s. i Sulfur from Post dramatic stress/Major depression/Chronic spinal pain. i hurt all the time 24/7 my mind raceing 24/7 and also bad Headaches now. we shouldnt have to go threw this much Trouble to get what we need to help us. even if we could grow 1 plant and smoke it for self Using only would be nice. but it’s all about money we know that if someone isnt happy it isnt going to happin. and im sure some other people are just like me to Afraid of takeing pill’s from the Addiction that come’s with them. i hope it get’s here soon.

5. Inpatient patient on

The Healing Clinic in Shreveport has been very honest to me as far as I am concerned. They seem just as frustrated.

Oklahoma is an example to follow in the south.

6. Russ J. on

I hope everyone in Louisiana will never forget the name Mike Strain. I hope no child die’s while he keeps playing these games. I’m one to never wish anything bad for anyone, but this time Strain is just making me hurt more thinking about the children that have Seizures every day and all the other people hurting all due to Mike Strain. This Jerk, Strain has had years to work all this out. You Mike Strain are not fooling anyone. We know what you are doing. He is now just trying to get rich and maybe he should because after this he will not be able to run for anything except the parish line. You, Mike Strain are the kind of people that all of us in Louisiana do not want. Get out of our state and don’t ever come back. I will pray more and it will happen with or without Strain.