More than 60 cannabis workers at two of Acreage Holdings’ The Botanist locations in New Jersey are joining the United Food and Commercial Workers (UCFCW).
The employees, at Botanist outlets in Atlantic City and Egg Harbor Township, “will join the union upon certification of the agreement,” UFCW Local 152 said in a late Monday news release.
“Representatives from the union then will begin negotiating the first contract on behalf of the new members to ensure their voice is heard at the workplace.”
The union local said the two Botanist locations include workers who “grow, harvest and process cannabis and sell it in several forms at their retail space.”
The Botanist has one other New Jersey retail location, in Williamstown.
In a statement, UFCW Local 152 President Brian String said the workers would be the chapter’s first cannabis industry members.
Local 152 and UFCW Local 360 announced a pro-union vote at New Jersey cannabis company Verano NJ in January 2021.
Stay informed with MJBiz Newsletters
MJBiz’s family of newsletters gives cannabis professionals an edge in this rapidly changing industry.
- MJBizDaily: Business news for cannabis leaders in your inbox each morning
- MJBiz Cultivator: Insights for wholesale cannabis growers & vertically integrated businesses
- MJBizCon Buzz: Behind-the-scenes buzz on everything MJBizCon
- MJBiz Retail + Brand: New products, trends and news for cannabis retailers, distributors and marketers
- Hemp Industry Week: Roundup of news from hemp farming to CBD product manufacturing
- And more!
Marijuana industry employees in a number of states have joined UFCW, including recent announcements in Illinois and Michigan.
Acreage is one of seven multistate operators that will soon launch adult-use marijuana sales in New Jersey.