The United Food and Commercial Workers Union (UFCW) scored another win in its mission to recruit more members in the marijuana industry when employees at a Sunnyside cannabis retail store in Champaign, Illinois, voted to ratify their first union contract.
Sunnyside is owned and operated by Chicago-based marijuana multistate operator Cresco Labs.
The 22 retail workers will be represented by Local 881 of the UFCW union, according to a news release.
This marks the third Local 881 union contract ratified by Illinois cannabis workers in the past two years.
According to the release, Local 881 negotiated a contract on the workers’ behalf that addressed many of their concerns, including:
- Annual wage increases.
- A ratification bonus.
- Guaranteed paid time off.
- A set employee product discount.
- A grievance procedure related to disciplinary actions.
Are you a social equity cannabis license holder or applicant?
The MJBizCon team is now accepting 2023 Social Equity Scholarship Program applications.
The mission of this program is to provide social equity cannabis license holders or applicants access to the #1 global cannabis industry conference + tradeshow in Las Vegas.
Who can apply?
- Students currently enrolled in a cannabis-related program at an accredited university or college.
- Cannabis executives at licensed social equity cultivation, extraction/processing, retail, manufacturing/brand businesses (or awaiting application approval).
Don’t miss out on this potentially life-changing opportunity.
Apply to attend MJBizCon today – The application period will close on July 24!
As of the end of 2021, the UFCW represented roughly 10,000 workers in the legal U.S. marijuana sector.