The United Food and Commercial Workers Union (UFCW) scored another win in its mission to recruit more members in the marijuana industry when employees at a Sunnyside cannabis retail store in Champaign, Illinois, voted to ratify their first union contract.
Sunnyside is owned and operated by Chicago-based marijuana multistate operator Cresco Labs.
The 22 retail workers will be represented by Local 881 of the UFCW union, according to a news release.
This marks the third Local 881 union contract ratified by Illinois cannabis workers in the past two years.
According to the release, Local 881 negotiated a contract on the workers’ behalf that addressed many of their concerns, including:
- Annual wage increases.
- A ratification bonus.
- Guaranteed paid time off.
- A set employee product discount.
- A grievance procedure related to disciplinary actions.
Get the MJBizDaily Extraction Buyers Guide, now available.
This free resource offers practical business tips and valuable insights from cannabis extraction professionals to help plan or scale your extraction or processing operation with confidence.
Inside the MJBizDaily Extraction Buyers Guide:
- In-depth guidance for planning a CBD extraction business
- Best practices in sourcing solvents + solventless materials
- Lessons in shopping for extraction/processing equipment
- Tips for outfitting a facility for psilocybin mushroom extraction
- And more!
As of the end of 2021, the UFCW represented roughly 10,000 workers in the legal U.S. marijuana sector.