Employees at the Wonderland Smoke Shop, a marijuana accessories store in West Berlin, New Jersey, submitted a petition to unionize.
According to a news release issued by the United Food and Commercial Workers (UFCW) Local 360, Wonderland’s petition to the National Labor Relations Board marks the first time a marijuana accessories business has formally asked to conduct an election to unionize.
Wonderland describes itself as a one-stop shop that sells glass pipes, water pipes and other marijuana smoking accessories as well as jewelry.
Employees signed the petition even after business owners pushed them to reject the worker protections and benefits that come with joining the UFCW Local 360, according to the release.
Stay informed with MJBiz Newsletters
MJBiz’s family of newsletters gives cannabis professionals an edge in this rapidly changing industry.
- MJBiz Daily: Business news for cannabis leaders in your inbox each morning
- MJBiz Cultivator: Insights for wholesale cannabis growers & vertically integrated businesses
- MJBizCon Buzz: Behind-the-scenes buzz on everything MJBizCon
- MJBiz Finance: Financial reports & funding strategies for entrepreneurs + investors
- Hemp Industry Week: Roundup of news from hemp farming to CBD product manufacturing
- And more!
For the past couple of years, union organizing has been surging in the U.S. marijuana industry.
It’s estimated that unions have organized 30,000-40,000 cannabis workers across the country.