Sales of legal adult-use cannabis in Canada totaled a record 375.8 million Canadian dollars ($292.1 million) in May, representing a 0.7% increase over April sales on an unadjusted basis, according to new data from Statistics Canada.
May was one day longer than April.
Statistics Canada revised the adult-use cannabis sales figure for April upwards to CA$373.3 million.
Month-over-month sales increased modestly in most of Canada’s 10 provinces, led by British Columbia with a 3.9% monthly increase to CA$55 million.
Monthly sales in Ontario, the nation’s biggest cannabis market, grew by 0.5% over April to CA$151.6 million.
Alberta sales totaled CA$65.4 million (+1%), and Quebec sales were CA$50.5 million (+0.7%).
Monthly sales totals and month-over-month changes in the remaining provinces were:
- Saskatchewan: CA$15.4 million (+1.6%)
- Manitoba: CA$14.3 million (-8.7%)
- Nova Scotia: CA$8.7 million (+1.3%)
- New Brunswick: CA$6.4 million (+0.1%)
- Newfoundland and Labrador: CA$4.9 million (-5.2%)
- Prince Edward Island: CA$1.7 million (-0.3%)
May cannabis sales in the Yukon territory shrank by 0.7% from April to CA$859,000.
Statistics Canada did not report retail cannabis sales figures for the Northwest Territories or Nunavut.
Stay informed with MJBiz Newsletters
MJBiz’s family of newsletters gives cannabis professionals an edge in this rapidly changing industry.
- MJBizDaily: Business news for cannabis leaders in your inbox each morning
- MJBiz Cultivator: Insights for wholesale cannabis growers & vertically integrated businesses
- MJBizCon Buzz: Behind-the-scenes buzz on everything MJBizCon
- MJBiz Retail + Brand: New products, trends and news for cannabis retailers, distributors and marketers
- Hemp Industry Week: Roundup of news from hemp farming to CBD product manufacturing
- And more!
Sales of regulated recreational marijuana and month-over-month changes in selected Canadian cities were:
- Toronto: CA$54.5 million (+5.3%)
- Montreal: CA$27.3 million (+2.6%)
- Edmonton, Alberta: CA$22.4 million (+2.6%)
- Vancouver, British Columbia: CA$18.6 million (+2.4%)
- Calgary, Alberta: CA$18 million (+1.3%)
- Ottawa, Ontario: CA$15.6 million (+7.5%)
- Winnipeg, Manitoba: CA$9 million (-7.7%)
- Quebec City: CA$5 million (-4.4%)
- Gatineau, Quebec: CA$1.8 million (-2.1%)
Complete retail cannabis sales data from Statistics Canada is available here.