Consumer sales of recreational cannabis products rose in every Canadian province in March 2023, according to newly released data by Statistics Canada.
Sales rebounded strongly to 405.5 million Canadian dollars ($300 million), up 11.3% from the previous month and 12.8% compared to the same period last year.
It’s the second time Canada’s cannabis sales surpassed the CA$400 million threshold. December 2022’s sales were CA$425.9 million.
Sales in March 2023 were led by Ontario – Canada’s most valuable market – where cannabis sales rose 12% to CA$158.9 million.
Ontario’s sales accounted for 40% of the country’s consumer cannabis revenue, which is roughly proportional to its population in Canada.
After Ontario, the second-biggest consumer cannabis market was Alberta.
Alberta’s recreational marijuana sales increased 11.2% in March over the previous month to CA$72.3 million.
In the remaining provinces, monthly marijuana sales and month-over-month changes were as follows:
- British Columbia: CA$63.4 million (+11.5%)
- Quebec: CA$50.7 million (+12.6%)
- Manitoba: CA$15.9 million (+10.6%)
- Nova Scotia: CA$9.5 million (+11.8%)
- New Brunswick: CA$6.2 million (flat)
- Newfoundland: CA$6.1 million (+1%)
- Prince Edward Island: CA$1.9 million (+12%)
- Saskatchewan: CA$18.7 million (+1%)
- Yukon: CA$925,000 (+17%)
Statistics Canada did not report cannabis sales for the Northwest Territories and Nunavut.
By city, Toronto was the frontrunner with CA$52.4 million in consumer cannabis sales in March, an increase of 11% over February.
Montreal came second with CA$27.6 million in sales that month, up 12.8%.
March cannabis retail sales in select Canadian cities and monthly sales changes were:
- Edmonton, Alberta: CA$24.3 million (+11.4%).
- Vancouver, British Columbia: CA$20.5 million (+10.9%).
- Calgary, Alberta: CA$20 million (+11%).
- Ottawa, Ontario: CA$14.3 million (+20%).
- Winnipeg, Manitoba: CA$9.6 million (+9.1%).
- Quebec City: CA$4.7 million (+15.6%).
- Gatineau, Quebec: CA$1.3 million (+11.4%).
Statistics Canada’s cannabis retail sales data is available here.