Guam to open adult-use cannabis application window at end of August

Just Released! Get realistic market forecasts, state-by-state insights and benchmarks with the new 2024 MJBiz Factbook member program, now with quarterly updates. Make informed decisions.

The U.S. island territory of Guam will kick off its adult-use cannabis licensing process at the end of next month, making applications available for marijuana entrepreneurs who must be vetted before they’ll be allowed to submit business permit applications.

According to the Pacific Daily News, the island government will start accepting applications Aug. 29 from “responsible officials” who want to obtain adult-use licenses.

At some point after that, the government will begin taking applications for business permits, though the ordinance governing the new recreational marijuana market requires that business licenses be available by Aug. 29.

However, Guam’s Cannabis Control Board indicated this week the deadline to make business licenses available most likely won’t be met, even though local entrepreneurs have been waiting for the market launch for more than three years.

But before that can happen, the Daily News reported, the executives seeking licenses must be cleared by the Cannabis Control Board.

The fee for a would-be “responsible official” to get cleared for a business license is $1,000, the Hagatna-based newspaper reported.

Stay informed with MJBiz Newsletters

MJBiz’s family of newsletters gives cannabis professionals an edge in this rapidly changing industry.

Featured newsletters:
  • MJBizDaily: Business news for cannabis leaders in your inbox each morning
  • MJBiz Cultivator: Insights for wholesale cannabis growers & vertically integrated businesses
  • MJBizCon Buzz: Behind-the-scenes buzz on everything MJBizCon
  • MJBiz Retail + Brand: New products, trends and news for cannabis retailers, distributors and marketers
  • Hemp Industry Week: Roundup of news from hemp farming to CBD product manufacturing
  • And more!


After that, businesses will have to get the signoff from at least six island government agencies, such as the Department of Public Works.

Licenses will eventually be available for retailers, growers, manufacturers and testing labs.