Reluctant doctors could hamper Missouri’s nascent medical cannabis program

Missouri’s potentially robust medical marijuana market, with a tentative 2020 launch, is running into early resistance from doctors reluctant to recommend MMJ products to qualifying patients.

“I don’t think doctors are hostile,” said Dan Viets, head of the Missouri Medical Cannabis Industry Association. “The simple fact is that most doctors are uninformed about the use of marijuana as medicine.”

Instead, would-be users are turning to pop-up and specialty clinics advertising certification for about $200 or less.

The process for doctors to certify patients started on June 4.

To qualify for medical marijuana, a patient must have one of several conditions such as cancer, epilepsy, glaucoma, migraines or post-traumatic stress disorder.

The Missouri Medical Association, which lobbies on behalf of the state’s physicians, opposed the ballot initiative voters approved in November legalizing medical marijuana.

The association isn’t taking a stance on whether doctors should certify medical marijuana patients, but it isn’t recommending it.

Missouri medical marijuana regulators announced they plan to issue 60 cultivation, 86 processing and 192 dispensary licenses in the state’s initial MMJ permitting round.

The state will accept business applications Aug. 3-17, with final scoring scheduled by the end of this year and sales potentially starting as soon as January.

– Associated Press and Marijuana Business Daily

13 comments on “Reluctant doctors could hamper Missouri’s nascent medical cannabis program
  1. CLIFTON MIDDLETON on

The doctors in Missery are reluctant to help folks because they have been brain washed more than most. A doctor is probably the least informed person about Marijuana in Missery. Hell, the entire state is reluctant about everything and the cops, well forget it they love the pot laws because they get to confiscate new cars and neat stuff from powerless citizens, a pox on their deal.

2. Eric McSwain on

As a Missourian, I’m sad to see the Missouri Medical Association (MMA) on the wrong side of history. Stronger emotions are elicited in me given the fact that the MMA is also on the wrong side of medicine, and science in general. Dan Viets comments apply directly to individual doctors and to the MMA as a whole.

3. Tim war on

Missouri drs seem unable to grasp that all they are saying when they “recommend” pot is that if the patient thinks it helps them in some way then its ok. They think an rx is somehow involved which necessarily requires a medical judgement not necessary with weed. Are they stupid? Or deliberately obtuse.ar

4. Chris on

“Medical marijuana laws in Missouri can be confusing and that your primary care physician may not be prepared to discuss medical marijuana as a treatment option if you have a qualifying condition.”

Missouri Physicians are not confused about marijuana laws. Marijuana is a Schedule #1 Federally Controlled Substance.

5. Geo on

I know AR is meeting the same. The form in AR (not sure about MO) is not a recommendation or a script. It is simple stating that you have a qualified condition that your Dr knows about and is treating. Doctors should NOT be aloud to deny signing this form. It is no different than getting a statement on your medical conditions for SSDI. Its time to stand up and speak out!!! SMH!!

6. Bryan on

I’m glad to see comments on these Missouri doctors not willing to sign the forms, I thought it was just my Doctors. The excuse of not educated enough on marijuana or any other lame excuse is unacceptable, other states voted, got their system up running with no problem,Missouri as always is so far behind. Apparently a June 4th deadline has meant very little.

• Dog Food on

Missouri is the worst state and allows that ensures that all decisions made are not in the best interest of its constituents but instead of the lobbiest including BIG PHARMA. That is all this is about. Big Pharma will lose and so will doctors who prescribe the medicine that they lied to us about and got us addicted. I have a horrible pain condition and was told that since I had pain receptors I would not get addicted almost ten years ago. Now I learn that was so that BIG PHARMA could get more of their drugs in Americans. Missouri government is disgusting that they aren’t listening to their voters by honoring what was voted on and encouraging doctors. Instead, they are thrilled that they have so many people addicted to pain medicine! Nice work Missouri

7. Disgusted Missouri Resident! on

I have been on opioids since 2011 being told by my physicians that since I had “pain receptors” I would not become addicted. Now, eight years later I have learned that was a lie that was told by the Big Pharms to get people in chronic pain addicted to their drugs. Now, the opioid crisis communicates that we are all drug addicts. I had 18 surgeries in 20 years and barely took any pain medicine until I learned in 2011 that my condition was not curable and I could not have any other surgeries to give me relief. My doctors have been telling me that I would be a perfect candidate for medical marijuana that is not addicting. Now, they tell me they will not prescribe medical marijuana for my pain condition because “it hasn’t been proven that it is not harmful”. This is disgusting. Why would they want me to stay on opioids that have been proven harmful especially when it is my decision for my health to move off of the very harmful opioids. Why do doctors get to decide if they are going to adhere to the law in Missouri instead of listening to the big Pharma who will be the loosers with medical marijuana. I guess the doctors will be too because it won’t require the patients to see them monthly for a prescription. This is all about money and nothing to do with the health of patients. The voters have spoken and want people off of opioids and the federal, state and local governments talk about a crisis that they have created and continue to perpetuate. This is disgusting and I agree that Missouri may be the worst state in this country! It is all about lobbiest. When will Missourians wake up and take back control of this state?